Updated: June 2, 2021
My Keto Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, or Avgolemono soup, is a creamy soup that will keep you warm on chilly winter nights.
And since it’s made in the slow cooker, you don’t have to stand over a hot stove for hours while it cooks.
Plus, it’s completely Keto and dairy-free, which means you can enjoy the soup without any worry of sneaky carbs ruining your diet.
Even better, your entire family will love it and no one will know it’s Keto (unless you tell them, of course).
Recipe Modifications and Cooking Tips
My Keto Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe is already incredibly easy to make, but here are a few modifications and cooking tips to make this even easier and to accommodate the ingredients you might already have in your refrigerator or pantry.
- You can skip sauteing the onion, celery and garlic before adding them to the slow cooker, but it really helps to deepen the flavor of the soup.
- You can cut the raw chicken into bite-sized pieces before adding it to the slow cooker. It will taste just as good, and you can save yourself from chopping the chicken after it’s cooked.
- Boneless chicken breast can be used instead of thighs, and you don’t even have to adjust the cooking time.
- You can use bone-in chicken thighs or breast, but the cooking time might be a bit longer. Be sure to use an instant-read thermometer to check that the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F (75 C). If you use bone-in chicken, be sure to remove and discard the bones before serving!
- You can use frozen cauliflower “rice” but be sure to defrost it before adding it to the slow cooker. Also watch to make sure you don’t buy seasoned cauliflower “rice” because it will alter the taste of the soup.
- The eggs are what gives this soup it’s creamy texture, and it’s really important to slowly pour the soup into the egg and lemon mixture while continuously stirring in step 6. Otherwise, the eggs might scramble, which will result in a soup similar to egg drop soup!
Even More Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes To Try
Can’t get enough Keto slow cooker chicken recipes? Neither can we, and here are the recipes to prove it!
If lemony chicken recipes have your lips smacking, then this Keto Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe is for you.
My Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup is a healthy version of a popular restaurant chain’s famous soup but without having to leave your house.
And if you want even more Keto Mexican-inspired slow cooker recipes, then you need to try my Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Mole.
However, if a Keto Indian-inspired slow cooker recipe sounds tempting, then my Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Saag is for you.
But if you want to try a Keto Asian-inspired slow cooker recipe, then my Asian Keto Crockpot Chicken Thighs Recipe is sure to please.
And if you are hungry for even more delicious Keto slow cooker recipes, then here are 28 Keto Crockpot Chicken Recipes That Make Dinner A No Brainer.
The classic Greek lemon chicken soup, a zesty, silky broth full of tender chicken and cauliflower “rice.”
- Olive oil, for cooking (optional)
- 1 medium onion (110 g), chopped
- 1 stalk of celery (20 g), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (1 g) dried oregano
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs (defrosted, if frozen)
- 1 cup (110 g) cauliflower “rice”
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- If desired, add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic to the slow cooker or skillet and saute for 3 minutes. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth and dried oregano to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and submerge in the broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 ½ hours or low for 7 hours.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional ½ hour on high or 1 hour on low.
- After the cook time is over, turn off the slow cooker. Remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred into bite-size pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the eggs and lemon juice. While continuously whisking, slowly add 2 ladles of the hot broth to the egg mixture until completely combined.
- While continuously stirring, slowly pour the egg mixture into the slow cooker and continue to stir for about a minute until the soup is slightly thickened and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh dill and lemon slices before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 5 g
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 17 g
View Original Source